By default, the course platform allows students to see the grades for an assignment as soon as the teacher has finished grading it. However, some teachers prefer to release all the grades to all students at the same exact time.
How to Mute an Assignment in the Gradebook
1. Starting in the course platform, select "Grades" from the left-hand side course menu to open the gradebook.
2. Hover your mouse over the name of the assignment and click the drop-down menu.
3. Click on "Mute assignment".
4. You will be prompted to confirm muting this assignment by the following pop-up screen:
5. You will be able to tell that your assignment has been muted through the muted icon that will be displayed on the assignment header in the gradebook . You will also see the same icon in the "Total" column, which warns you that your grade view is different from what the student sees.
How to Unmute an Assignment in the Gradebook
1. Follow steps 1-2 above.
2. Click on "Unmute assignment" from the drop-down menu.
3. You will be prompted to confirm your decision to unmute the assignment.
How to Mute an Assignment In SpeedGrader
1. Starting in the course platform, select "Grades" from the left-hand side course menu.
2. Hover over the assignment you'd like to mute.
3. Click on the drop-down menu and select "SpeedGrader".
Note: You could alternatively find SpeedGrader by clicking directly on the assignment you'd like to mute (whether it be on the gradebook itself or within the "Assignments" link on the left-hand side menu on Canvas).
From the upper right-hand corner, click on "SpeedGrader".
4. On the upper left-hand side corner of SpeedGrader, click on the "Mute" icon highlighted below.
5. You will be prompted to confirm your decision to mute the assignment.
How to Unmute an Assignment In SpeedGrader
1. Follow steps 1-4 above.
2. Click the mute icon again in order to unmute.