Please review the standard enrollment instructions here before reading this article, and note that the PDFs provided in that article have a place to add a suffixed section token.
Teachers can divide their course into multiple class periods or sections of students through the following steps. You may use this option if you are teaching multiple class periods of the same course, or if you want to assign different due dates, exams, etc., to separate groups of students.
- Come up with a 2-digit code to differentiate, for example, Period 2 from Period 4.
- When your students enroll using your unique section token, ask them to add the 2-digit code at end of the section token to create a suffixed section token.
Using the example above, if your section token is
3x2y1z, your students should enter their section tokens when enrolling as follows:
As your students enroll, your gradebook will automatically show the students in their sections as long as they use the suffixed section tokens upon enrolling.
Editing and Adjusting Student Course Sections
If you see any corrections or edits that need to be made to your course sections (such as if students have changed class periods, did not use the suffixed section token, or entered the letter “o” instead of a zero), you can adjust these by going to the People page in the left-hand menu.
- Once you’re on the People page, you can either scroll through the list or search for specific student names in the search bar at the top.
- Upon locating the student whose section you’d like to change, click on the three-dot icon to the right of their name and select “Edit Sections.”
- Within this menu, either type the appropriate section name or use the “Browse” feature and select the section you would like to assign to that student.
- Remove the course section from which you are moving that student. (Note that you cannot remove them from an incorrect section until you’ve added them to the correct section!)
- Click ‘Update’ to finish the process for that student.
Note that the ‘Last Activity’ will record the last activity that student has in their current course section, so it will be blank immediately after changing course sections.
Adding, Editing, and Removing Course Sections
In addition to editing individual students’ assigned course section, you can also edit entire course sections by following these steps. Please note that this function is best used after students have already enrolled using a suffixed token, as otherwise you will have to manually place each student in the appropriate course section.
- Go to the “Settings” page in the left-hand menu.
- Click the “Sections” tab at the top of the page.
- Click the pencil icon next to the course section you would like to edit.
- Type the new name, then click out of the edit box.
In addition, if students entered an incorrect course section, you can delete it entirely after moving them into the appropriate section. Please note that a course section with students enrolled in it cannot be deleted.
If you need to create a new course section after students have already enrolled, you can do so in this same page. Simply fill in the text in the “Add a New Section” text box and click the “+Section” button. As mentioned above, you will need to manually move students into their new course section following the instructions above.
If you have trouble adding, editing, or removing a course section, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org so that our team can assist you.